To celebrate the 100th blog posting at the Front Porch (you people thought it would never last), I'm starting a new feature: the guest blogger.
My father, Kicking Bear, has no interest in starting a blog, maintaining a blog, then losing interest and quitting said blog. This is a one-off. He wants the high-profile Front Porch webspace. He wants the built-in, highly esteemed Front Porch readership. He wants blogging without commitments. He wants it all.
So without further ado, here is my father, Kicking Bear, and his contribution to the Front Porch on this very special day.
Kicking Bear's Frustrations
Have you ever purchased a piece of clothing (shirts, coats, or anything else) that you really like, and when it wears out three, four, five or more years later, you would like to replace it with the exact same thing? Have you ever been able to do that? I haven't. Not once in 50+ years. You find something you really like and then that's a signal for it to disappear from the universe. Other favorite products that have disappeared or are extremely difficult to find:
1) Sanka Coffee
2) A&W Diet Creme Soda
3) Crispy M&Ms
4) Louis Rich Turkey Salami
5) Care-Free Gum
6) 0.9mm Pentil Pencils
7) Donkey Kong Cereal
There's been several others that have long been forgotten.
Your friend,
Kicking Bear
6 comments:
Dear KB,
Star Wars Action Figures. My sisters and I had them all--Princess Leah, Han Solo, Luke. We had a Death Star, an X-wing fighter. We were the coolest swankers on the block. Then, my younger cousins grew to love them. They took them to their houses in Las Vegas and we never saw them again. Now, I go to the store to buy my nephew new Star Wars people. They are ugly and have no friends. There is no Princess with buns on the side of her head. The are no hard plastic replications of Harrison Ford's face. Why, why did our action figures go away?
P.S. I do think I've seen Diet A&W Cream Soda lately. I'm probably wrong, but if I'm not, I'll buy it up and sending to Sleepy E, via Middlebrow.
Signing off,
Otterbutt
I always liked the idea of Care Free gum. It gave you such a sense of relief when you partook of is saccharine forgiveness.
I hear you, Kicking Bear. Many, many products have disappeared from the face of the earth merely because I decided that I liked them. A special subcategory of this is restaurants. Generally, when I fall in love with a restaurant, that's a signal for the chef to close down the restaurant so that he can obtain a Ph.D. in materialist philosophy. (This actually happened.) I have a little grievance with the cosmos over this issue.
I love that a man in his 60s is so shaken up by his inability to find Donkey Kong cereal anymore that he'll request time and space on his son's blog to complain about it.
I notice too that KB has the Anderson Listing Gene (that is, preferring listing as opposed to actual prose, not listing side to side, although we can do that too). I must have got it from somewhere.
This is great, K-Bear!
Looks like we've found a successor to Andy Rooney...
Without Care Free gum, what to give to trick-or-treaters?
And yes E, I of course have the listing gene as well - everything in life
must be quantified, ranked, categorized.
Post a Comment