I wrote 5,000 words today and finished the novel. It was an arduous grind but it is all over. I finished two days late but I wrote long, ending up w/ 64,000 words (228 pages).
There were three goals:
1. To finish
2. To create a literary thriller where no one dies and where no weapons exist
3. To cram all of the story beats into a plotty 50,000 words, so that the expansion to 100,000 would still retain a rigorous plot in spite of digressions, meditation, and writerly wheelie-poppin
The MS steals from a bunch of different things, most notably "The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-Time" and 'Red Harvest."
It centers around the famous 1940 Narrows Bridge collapse in Tacoma, Washington. The protagonist, an agoraphobic nineteen-year-old man beset by a lifetime of weather-related tragedies, discovers a mystery in it. He must engage with the scary outer world if he is to solve the deal and finally grow up.
It will be called "Strange Weather."
This writing experiment was really awful, but also kind of fun too. Since this was my first time to ever work on a novel (let alone one written at breakneck speed), it was interesting to see how sleep, diet, exercise, caffeine infusions, and scheduling affected productivity and quality. I found that I became superstitious, like a sportsman, to the point where I had a hard time writing at all if I had the wrong kind of coffee or the wrong music on or if I tried to write in the middle of the day.
I never did quite shake that feeling of pointless, though. Like what a waste of time this is. Playing make-believe. Inventing plots and schemes. Why? I mean, it's kind of fun but I have a hard time taking it seriously. It's hard to think that a book could actually make a difference in the world. Especially a novel.
I will come back to this MS later but I don't want to spend more than a couple of months on it. I think about all of the other things I could be doing with my life, like watching good movies or cooking more or going on dates or taking swimming lessons or hiking or resuming study of Japanese, Korean, Chinese, and Spanish. Anything really seems more important right now.
Tomorrow we shall start the Coffee Reduction Act.
13 comments:
I suppose--and hope--you've already given yourself all the propers for having written that many words in a month? Ave Sleepy.
And by the way, Red Harvest is a very cool antecedent.
Well done Sleepy E. I knew you could do it.
Good for you E...Now Maybe you Can start on My Screenplay?.....
Your novel sounds brilliant and I can't wait to read it. Is it okay if I hate you? Just a little bit?
Don't hate, Dr. Write! No haters allowed on the Front Porch. I assure you, there's nothing brilliant about it, except for that I was able to reach new levels of atrociousness.
BTW, I like your new "indie" photo. But I fear it will not be the babe magnet that the last pic was. Plus the facial hair, it can scare chicks off.
(I don't really hate, btw. It's just a mask for my envy.)
Yeah, but this is what I really look like when I wake up...(actually, this is what I looked like almost 3 years ago when I woke up). This is the picture I use to intimidate the critics.
Hey, wait a minute. What are you saying? That I'm butt-ugly in this photo or something? I thought all you teachas and doctors were all about subtext and looking past the external.
No, not "ugly," "indie." There is a difference. Anyway, I guess some chicks like facial hair, but I haven't met one.
The cookie baking last night was a fiasco, btw. But there will be a second round of easy to make, easy to ship cookies, of which I will send some to the E.
BTW, Son said, "what about Sleepy E?" yesterday. I asked him how he knew about you and he said, (with attitude), "you were talking about it, on your blog." Sigh.
Bring. It. On!
Yo!
Can't hardly wait to read a novel whose scene is just five minutes away from home! Even better, when will the movie come out ???!!!
Small correction: You speak of a ninteen year old man. In 1940 in the state of Washington, you were not a man (or woman) until you were 21. You were call a youth in those days. or perhaps a child, youngster, etc...
Very interesting, I did not know that.
Post a Comment