Saturday, November 11, 2006

Tip

If you walk into a salon and the owner is the person who cuts your hair, do you tip him/her?

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

I do. I am charged $10 for a senior haircut (regular $12). Just because she is the owner, she is not getting rich by any means even though it is a four chair shop and doing a good business. I usually leave $12.

Anonymous said...

I don't know. I'm the one woman who doesn't have a supply of ones in my pocket to tip the shampoo girl. I'm surprised she doesn't always get soap in my eyes.
Usually I say when in doubt, tip. But I always write a check and add 5 assuming the stylist tips out the shampoo girl.

middlebrow said...

I'm with kicking bear, though I'm not yet eligible for the senior haircut. I suppose I get the somewhat over-the-hill special (usually $13). I leave a $2 tip.

Condiment said...

But I guess traditional tipping etiquette says that tips are meant to offset low wages and so it is improper to tip the owner.

Lisa B. said...

There is an actual answer to this question, and I'm proud to know it! The answer is: no. Especially if it's a fancy shop, but everything I've read says the owner doesn't get tipped.

Also, you can add on one big tip at the end and specify who gets what.

Just for credibility: I'm a big tipper, generally, so I'm not just trying to get out of something.

Anonymous said...

At my local bar I tip the bartenders very well. "really paying for my drinks". I drink much more than I am charged...The owner gets not so much... but every third drink is free

Tim said...

My perspective is different. I absolutely tip the owner. Beyond the "rules" of etiquette, I simply perceive a tip as a gesture of appreciation. So, I show my appreciation with a little extra cash.

Clint Gardner said...

Tip? What's a tip?

Hardihar har. Actually I am a generous tipper. I find it is always good to greese the wheel of future haircutting excellence.

Anonymous said...

OK, I think I've got it... These poeple all make way too much money and Don't deserve it. Except OZZY