Saturday, June 16, 2007

Dunk Report

The problem with getting in shape is all that damn weight. Why can't I be skinny and out of shape? That would be a lot easier. Why is it always that I'm fat and out of shape? So now I'm carrying around 30 more pounds than I should (almost 50 more than I was in high school) and I'm expecting to be able to dunk? Imagine trying to jump with two 25 lb weights hanging off your gut. Not fun, I tell you. And hard to get vertical!

People always say that the beginnings of weight loss usually go pretty quickly and then it tapers off and becomes harder and harder to lose weight past a certain point. My theory, though, is that you're getting lighter and lighter as you are simultaneously getting in better and better shape...so it gets easier and easier to run/swim/dunk/play tennis. The tendency for weight loss to become less and less efficient is canceled out exactly by the increased efficiency of your lightening bod. I see no reason why you couldn't just keep losing weight at the same rate until you evaporated or became a Singularity or something...

In other words, No progress on the court. Playing the worst basketball of my life. Running four days a week and getting better but I'm still a lardass, it's still torturous.

More later.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm running and losing weight, but not getting any faster. My theory is that my legs are rebelling by saying no, they won't go any faster. Too bad.
I would believe this except for that last year when I trained for the 1/2 I did get faster. So I know the only solution is to run longer.
I don't like this solution.
Maybe you should get those special jumping shoes like Kramer had. I'm sure those will work.

Clint Gardner said...

Yeah the plateau is a bitch, and I agree with your theory. What it says, however, is to eat a little less and force your body to use that fat for good purposes. I'm not talking starvation diet, of course, just one that keeps your calories down to a level where the balance tips towards weight loss.

The other problem, of course, is the yo-yo rebound when you get to your target weight. I've kept that in abeyance myself by maintaining sensible caloric intake. Sure I have days when I do too much, but that is compensated for on the next day. I'm also nearly completely off bread, which I think was invented by Satan himself. Well it does do well in moderation, but when is anything in our culture ever moderate any more?

You'll get there. I'm pretty much at my target weight right now (3 more pounds, but I've definitely plateaued, but that doesn't bug me because in toto I've lost 40 pounds since December.) I might go for an extra 10 when I get to my target weight.

middlebrow said...

Again, work on the old man hook shoot. I'm bringing it out next time we play. It's slow, low and unstoppable.

Perhaps another pair of strength shoes?

Condiment said...

I have to say that I played today and sucked for the first three quarters but I came alive in the fourth and found my shot and hit for about 20 points and led a pretty big comeback victory.

Maybe I am getting in shape. I must if the shot was going down in the fourth quarter.