This is a picture of Karen hefting a glass in Santa Barbara. Note the rustic-chic Mason jar and everything that it represents:

This is a picture of me eating rolle polse and pickled herring in Solvang, CA. It was kind of a Scandian lunch-ordering stunt, I confess. Wish I would have gotten corn dog or grilled cheese instead:

This is a picture of wine country, buzzing more than ever with wine bores since Sideways came out. Becoming a wine bore is my newest project.

This is a picture of our purchase. First the people get you drunk. Then you buy way more wine than you want. It is a very effective sales technique and I wonder why they haven't implemented this method at auto dealerships, hmmm:

This is a picture of Pismo Beach:

This is a picture of the pinkified lounge of the Madonna Inn in San Luis Obispo. Pink cakes and French Dip for the whole family:

This is the picture of a New-Agey labyrinth at our mineral springs spa. I learned that group hugging and group meditation make me a little nervous (am I uptight?). There was also a Yoga Dome, where the Dodgers will be playing next year:

All in all a good time was had. California is really beautiful when you are just visiting.
5 comments:
So. Jealous.
Not about the pickled herring, but about wine country and the Yoga Dome. I am trying to become a wine snob AND one of those people who takes vacations. MB is helpful with point one, but not so much point two. Can you work on that?
I am now going to begin planning our getaway to Napa.
Glad your movie is over and glad you had a vacation. I have never been to Solvang, which all in all sounds like a better idea to talk about than to visit. Care to comment? Although I hear the pastries (available everywhere? the streets are paved with them??) are very very good. Those Danish.
I endorse vacations heartily. I would like to reconstruct working life so that there's about 35% of the time that is available for vacation. Possibly 40%.
Yes, Solvang was really terrible. The pastries (Aebleskiver) were mediocre (a doughball covered with raspberry jam and powdered sugar) and were immediately set up by hordes of hungry bees. We walked for blocks to get away but the bees of Solvang still found us.
Better is the little hamlet of Los Olivos which is just north of Solvang.
The bees. They'll chase everyone out of California eventually. Which is only fair. The bees deserve the wine. What's the wine snob phrase? Oh yeah, Salud!
Looks like fun. Bring some of that wine to Newport Beach.
Post a Comment