Tuesday, November 13, 2007

Seven Movies I Knew Were Mediocre But Adored Anyway - Although I'd Probably Hate Them Now

This was going to be "Seven Movies I'm Embarrassed To Love" but I'd probably hate these if I saw them today. But most of these films I defended for years.

1. Contact
2. Ishtar
3. Simple Men
4. Alien 3
5. After Dark My Sweet
6. Hudson Hawk
7. The Sheltering Sky

Newer adds:

1. Code 46
2. Constantine

2 comments:

Lisa B. said...

Had to look up After Dark, My Sweet, because I couldn't remember if I'd seen it--what with its generic noir title. According to imdb, its tagline: "Seduced beyond the limits of deception. Betrayed beyond the limits of desire."

But I haven't seen it. I did, however, see Ishtar once, on video, because I just couldn't believe that it was as hideous as people said it was. And it wasn't --it was funny and enjoyable. I didn't adore it--but I realized that there's some awful schadenfreude that critics get going sometimes--just love to hate. Moral of the story: see it for yourself, if you want.

As for Constantine: it was trashy, but I sure did enjoy it. Especially I loved Peter Stormare as Satan. Hilarious.

Dr Write said...

I adored "Simple Men," my favorite of the HH films. I can't admit that it might be mediocre, though I could concede I might not love it as much as I once did.
"Contact" too. Cheesy? Yes. But I think I would still like it. Plus Matt and Jody? How can you beat that?
The others I haven't seen. So maybe it's too late.