
Tarsem is a commercial director; I believe the only movie he's made is the beautiful miscue "The Cell" with J-Lo, which was apparently wrested from his hands by a meddling studio.
Tarsem couldn't get funding for this movie in Hollywood, in spite of his track record. He financed it all himself, and chose commercial shoots which were at the distant locales he wanted to shoot in. So he piggy-backed his movie behind his commercials, and in this way shot in 24 countries over 4 years (I think).

It's basically a cross between "The Princess Bride" and the original "Singing Detective" with some "Pan's Labyrinth" thrown in. I think it was a remake of a Bulgarian film.

I pretty much hate all-style no substance movies, but this had the guts to back itself up. The little girl's incredibly naturalistic performance, the puzzle-narrative that unfolds perfectly at an emotional end, the conspicuous lack of name actors, the scope... Here is a filmmaker who is trying to do something new, who cares about his craft. His passion comes through in every frame, even when the story is taking its time and wending its way.

This film is not perfect, but the effort is perfect. Why would anybody want to see Indiana Jones 4, when they could watch this? Why do we exist in a world where NOBODY would finance this thing?
8 comments:
I am SO excited to see this movie! I read about it in an article in the NYTimes a couple of weeks ago and just. can't. wait! So, good to know you felt this way about it. I was afraid to see The Cell because it looked like it would terrify me (who is easily terrified), even though it also has Vincent D'O. whom I adore. But this movie! I am already there, except I'm in Seattle instead.
First of all, were you dead for awhile? Because I was afraid you were dead. To me, not blogging = dead. But now that you _are_ blogging, thank god. This movie is playing here and I will try to drag MB to see it, but you know how he is. Also, he talks daily about flying out to LA. Does he think he's on vacation or something?? Thanks for the movie review.
I predict MB will hate it.
Yes, I have been re-editing my documentary, which is a lot like being dead.
This movie has caught my eye as well.
The whole Feliniesque/odd costume thing is a plus for me, I suppose.
Re-editing, eh?
Do you predict that KB will hate it? I have not seen it advertised anywhere in the PS area. Has it not come here yet, or is it history and I missed it.
Just saw it--twice. I loved the film--not perfect, but you don't need perfect if it's this strange and good. The little girl was amazing.
Hey, Kicking Bear, where's your review, I know you saw it finally.
Post a Comment