K and I just got back from our honeymoon in beautiful Tulum, Mexico, about 2 hours south of Cancun.
I never thought I would have enjoyed such a stereotypical honeymoon -- white sand beaches, mojitos, hammocks, and lounging. Lots of lounging.

Our days consisted of reading, and eating, and swimming, and eating, and reading, and walking on the beach, and reading, and napping, and reading, and drinking.
It is easy to be cynical about our little resort, which had eco-spa pretensions and Gilligan's Island-chic architecture. We loved it, however.
It was a thirty-minute bike ride from our cabana to the little town of Tulum. In Tulum there was a cash machine, pistachio ice cream, taxis, and an honest-to-goodness supermarket!
It was pretty stifling, but on the beach the cool-to-the-touch white sand and perpetual ocean breeze made it quite comfortable. Out on the main road, however, there was no cool-the-touch white sand beach or perpetual ocean breeze. Instead, you got mosquitoes and rank sweat and butt bruise...
But a little punishment always makes the good times so much better... I can make a mean mojito now, in case anyone is wondering.
Our rehearsal dinner in Los Angeles took place at a little Yucatan place near MacArthur Park called Chichen Itza. During our honeymoon we rented a car and drove to the real Chichen Itza, the ruins of a Mayan city two and a half hours away. We came very close to running out of gas in the middle of nowhere - thanks mostly to... well... my male stupidity.
We did not run out of gas. Look at how exuberant we are!







6 comments:
Such great pictures! Such exuberance! So you had to bike in to town to eat every meal or was this a full service cabana? I like your perspective about the butt burn equaling better mojito payoff--a fine, marriage-worthy philosophy indeed.
Beautiful! I love the narrative of your pictures and words. It looks like a lot of fun, seriously. Congratulations!
Dr. Write and I wants to go there.
Otterbutt, there were meals available at our little resort. And real coffee, too! There was really no reason to leave...
WOW! When are we all going back together. Looks like you guys had a great time! :)
Hi, I´m an old friend to Karen from 1999. I just wanted to say congrats and what beautiful pictures !
All the very best Fransesca
Post a Comment