Thursday, January 13, 2011

Heal Thyself

Today's quiz:

What do the following foods have in common?

1. Barley
2. Buckwheat
3. Cacao Bean/Chocolate
4. Cow's Milk
5. Garlic
6. Hazelnut
7. Malt
8. Pistachio Nut
9. Rye
10. Sunflower Seed
11. Wheat

Yup, you guessed it. I am officially allergic to these foods... Let us consider the ramifications of this. No beer, no chocolate, no dairy, no wheat.... but no garlic? Come on!!!!

I feel immense sadness but also relief as well, knowing finally that these foods have been isolated... (my amazing insurance is not so amazing when it comes to food allergy diagnosis and treatment).

Since this year's New Year's Resolution is to "heal myself" I suppose I might get used to eating the rice gruel and green tea and forget about ever going out again!!!!!

Don't get me wrong, I will be in incredible shape after cutting all of this stuff out of my diet. But the foodie in me laments...

3 comments:

middlebrow said...

That's rough. I consumed one of everything on that list yesterday.

Lisa B. said...

This is a crime against humanity. God. At least onions, right? And oats. And tomatoes. (Just trying to think of the saving graces.) Whew. Maybe you'll come up with amazing and creative recipes and share them?

Clint Gardner said...

Geh! Barley? Really? Looks like you are on a saki binge from now on.

Asafetida is the Indian option to garlic, by the way. It is a stinking resin in its uncooked form, but is surprisingly very garlicky when cooked.

Oh and I am going to make it my service project to write the damn review of WotP on Monday.