Sunday, May 15, 2011

Halftime (Long)

I turned forty last week. It feels like halftime. A brief reprieve before the stressful grind of the third quarter commences, when we try to chip away—Seattle Supersonics style—at the lousy deficit earned during the first two poorly played quarters. And so far it does feel a lot like halftime—I can ratchet up that false optimism, and listen to motivational speakers (Coach), have a loungy rest, joke with friends, and have a drink or two (if I’m Ron Artest).



I actually enjoyed turning thirty, and was confronted by none of the aging angst I had expected for that milestone. All of that returned during my thirty-first year, when it became clear that nothing was different, I wasn’t older and wiser (just older), and that my thirties were just an extended version of my lackluster twenties, without the sheen and polish—a new time when I would start to buy Glucosamine for creaky joints and when bran intake would become a legitimate topic of conversation. This third and fourth quarter, however, will not stretch into infinity with time-outs and TV breaks and attempts to ice the shooter. It will be played with a running clock, and when it is over, it is over.

A great man once told me that turning forty was the best thing that ever happened to him. I am paraphrasing here, but basically he said that turning forty causes you to come to terms with yourself. All of that STRIVING and VAGUE DISSATISFACTION kind of fades away—if you aren’t a millionaire and a CEO yet, you probably aren’t going to be—and that’s okay, a good thing maybe. Come to grips with it! Turning forty makes you ask yourself: “Now what?” For him, the answer was: “Okay, now I can start having fun.” I suppose this is what a mid-life crisis is, but I don’t think he was out buying convertibles and leisure suits and trying desperately to turn back the clock with material goods and rowdy behavior. That sounds a bit dramatic. For my father, he was able to make peace with his job, that this was what it was, and that the most important thing was to be a good father and to enjoy life every day.

I will say this: The past few years it has become clear that time is not infinite, and that I’ll probably never learn Sanskrit, and if I do it’ll be at an extremely high cost. Saying yes to one thing means saying no to a dozen other things, and turning forty is just another blunt reminder that you can’t say yes to everything (although my lengthening to-do list seems to be in total denial about this). Do I want to work on a novel for two years or do something more productive with my time? Or twenty smaller things? Much of my thirties was spent making a certain documentary, and now that it is over it has been so pleasurable—delicious, really—to just focus on little non-artistic domestic tasks—doing chores around the house, cooking more and more, starting a garden on the balcony, etc. I’d still like to work on a book; I just feel like I need to decide that spending this time in this way is important, and correct, and then stick with this decision. Of course, this RAISING OF THE STAKES contributes to total artistic paralysis—if every creative endeavor has to be sanctioned by the time-management committee in your head. But that is a topic for a future blog post!

From Paul Bowles’ The Sheltering Sky : “We get to think of life as an inexhaustible well. Yet everything happens a certain number of times, and a very small number, really. How many more times will you remember a certain afternoon of your childhood, some afternoon that's so deeply a part of your being that you can't even conceive of your life without it? Perhaps four or five times more. Perhaps not even. How many more times will you watch the full moon rise? Perhaps twenty. And yet it all seems limitless."

It is worth asking again: Now what?

4 comments:

Lisa B. said...

I was telling the historian about this post, and we had a long and interesting conversation deriving therefrom. So thank you for that.

I have long felt that the focus and drive toward a big goal has been a deficit of my character. But along the way, I've managed to accomplish a thing or two, and right now, that's all right with me. There are things I know I won't accomplish, and that's maybe okay with me too. The big career accomplishment--another book--I have not given up on. But I'm okay without academic glory beyond that. I'm okay--I'm in fact good--with the fact that I spent my youth and much of my energy making a family.

I do feel a pang sometimes--and this is amplified by the fact that my husband is older than I am--that when I experience something wonderful, and especially with him, it might be the last time, or one of the last times. The trick for me is not to kick into grieving before things are gone. That's useless.

Anyway, thanks for a great post. We are in L.A. right now--we had a great day at LACMA today, yesterday we spent part of the afternoon at the Watts Towers. Have you gone there? Oh my God.

Dr Write said...

I think 40 is a good reminder that your productive years are ahead. I mean, it's not half. It's the better half. How productive can you expect your 5 or 15 year old self to be?
Most of what people do, they do after 40. I say this as a 42 year old who is in the best shape of her life and is finally calm enough to contemplate finishing a novel.
Maybe some things are only possible after 40.
Plus I feel blessed, like Lisa, to have someone to have these few amazing experiences with.
I too felt a bit of a jolt at 40. But I'm here to say that you can settle into it.
Good luck. (maybe the key is not to make lists? I don't know...)

middlebrow said...

So glad now that I got your the Sonics shirt. What serendipity! I hadn't thought of the shirt as an emblem of the third quarter of one's life. We're talking, of course, the good Sonics, when they had Tom Chambers, Dale Ellis, and the X-Man.

Damn sir, this is a great post. I could easily see this as an article somewhere.

As to the significance of 40, I basically agree with everything you've said here, especially the bit about bran being a legitimate topic of conversation. I would also describe it as a narrowing but also intensifying of one's possibilities. In my 20s everything felt so wide open, but also undefined and vague. Now I know my strengths and weaknesses. I know, at least to some degree, what's possible and what's not. There's a sense of loss for that wide open feeling, but there's also satisfaction in getting down to one's business and no longer worrying so much about what one "might" do sometime in the future.

Condiment said...

Thanks for all of the great comments everybody. I think Dr. Write's prescription--"make fewer lists"--is pretty right on... As far as obtaining a feeling of heightened focus, most of the time I feel the opposite: a narrowing of possibilities and diminishing of certainty. But this will all change, watch me!