The courts are ideal as far as busy Los Angeles goes. There are two great full courts inside of a lush park, with properly painted 3-point arcs, new nets, and they are never busy for some reason - perhaps because the 10 freeway prevents too many people from coming in on the north side, the south side is abutted by the large (dorm-free) Santa Monica college, and well, because ballers are priced out of living in the area?
Anyway, it's a great place to shoot around, and the people who do come to play eventually are not that good. But what I'm running into is a weird phenomenon where people who come to the park will walk up to me and ask if they can shoot with me.
In short, they put me in a position.
And I have to say no.
Of course I feel like the bad guy, and for those who don't play basketball it might seem like I am being a selfish asshole here... But I feel like b-ball etiquette dictates that you bring your basketball to the courts if you want to shoot around. You just don't go there and hope you can butt your way into a game (that happens, of course). Perhaps this is a good indicator of their novice-ness. They are non-players and this labels them as such. Someone who plays basketball would never drive all the way to the park to go play without bringing a ball. I mean, what would happen if nobody was there and they had to drive home? They will invest in a basketball and bring it, for this reason. If 100 people are there, then that's okay too. The novice doesn't really mind if he goes to the park and is turned away by the lack of players (and balls). This is the problem.
My feeling is this: I came to shoot around by myself and as long as there are empty hoops I am going to do so. No, I do not own these courts. But I do own this basketball. You may think me an asshole for not wanting to share, but it is you, YOU, who are violating the contract here.
At least that's what I think on this one.
Then they give me a hurt look and they walk away. Like they've just asked me for the time of day and wouldn't give it to them.
And it happens every single time I go there. Am I being a jerk here?
No comments:
Post a Comment