K & I were talking about even making a treadmill desk, where we would walk and work, walk and work.
Two months ago we found something in Santa Clarita for $40, drove all the way up there, and retreived our new standing desk.
Turns out there's an odd black market for a particular kind of discontinued IKEA desk, called the Jerker. There are newer, more traditionally desk-like versions of the Jerker desk now but the old version was a tall, robust computer workstation. Only one could take the desk part and bolt it in a much higher position on the vertical supports, and voila, a standing desk. And that is why this obsolete IKEA product has such an underground fan club.
And me, I'm loving the standing desk, actually. I don't know if it is contributing to any weight loss or improved well-being, but I do feel more focused when I'm standing here working. It's harder to space out and slouch down and zone. You're more awake, and more vertical, and the screen is right in front of you, beckoning.
I'm not positive if I'll be very good at writing creatively here. This will remain to be seen. I predict a sitting position will prevail for creative enterprises.
For donkeywork, though, the standing desk rules!
And life is a lot of donkeywork.
Here is a picture of me at my new standing desk, wearing women's shoes:

2 comments:
I heard about a standing desk--a woman in my writing group rigged up a treadmill desk for the same reasons you outline. And then she found herself with an injury because she was walking too much.
I am pretty sure, though, that if I had a standing desk, and I lived in the Florida Keys, and took the afternoons off for marlin fishing, I would be so much more productive. Just kidding about the marlin fishing. I'm not really much of a fisherperson.
Lovely picture of you, Sleepy E. Nice beard.
Post a Comment