Thursday, November 10, 2011

The Ballad of Jack of the Lantern

Each year around the beginning of October, our neighbors' yard fills up with castoff bits of stage walls and props and giant skulls and a janky gothic fence.


When I first came across this junk five years ago, I thought it might be homegrown set design and stagecraft to spookify their house for trick-or-treaters. But no, it wasn't that.

It was for some crazy local musical theater.


Our neighbors have been putting on elaborate Halloween productions for over twenty years. This year they performed "The Ballad of Jack of the Lantern."


They play four shows a night (at about 20 minutes each) on Halloween, and on the two evenings that straddle it. This year got a larger turnout than most, although a few people inexplicably walked off in mid-performance.



Hooray for this and hooray for our neighbors, that's all I have to say. And hooray for Halloween.

Yes, hooray for Halloween.

3 comments:

Lisa B. said...

That is some Halloweenery that I could get behind. Superb.

Dr Write said...

What is the plot of "Jack the Lantern"? Do tell.

Condiment said...

Something like this:

http://bit.ly/uRmqTs