2. When did "disconnect" become a noun?
3. What are the origins of "bling bling"?
4. This is a picture of what kids do in the jungle when no one else is around:

5. Man Leans In For Kiss, Sticks Tongue Out Too Early, Blows the Whole Deal

6. Liquor Flowers

7. Is "quezadilla" a misspelling or a variant?

8. Trivia question: What does the following picture mean?

9. The official spelling of Fozzie Bear's post-joke exulting is w-o-c-k-a. As in "Wocka Wocka!" More on the Muppet clones later.

Thanks for listening.
9 comments:
Disconnect became a noun around the same time business people started using impact as a verb, which was around the same time woman started wearing shoulder pads. Soon PowerPoint would follow, followed then by the laser pointer.
And don't forget "grow the economy" from the same people who brought us "disconnect" no doubt.
The other day I saw a cafe advertising (on a permanent and prominent sign) "KaySaDeYas"
You have to have a wardrobe of vocabulary (including being able to use "disconnect" as a noun, "impact" as a verb, and "grow the economy" without either the finger quote marks or smug irony, in the right circumstances). As for "non sequitur," you can also try using other words of foreign derivation. Try "hegemony" in that same circumstance, and you might get a slap. Finally, academics should never get huffy about horrible words and phrases--I know I personally have used theory-speak in a cavalier and high-handed manner. (I'm in rehab.) It's just that no one cares--it'll never show up in the business pages (what, the humanities pages?) of a newspaper, because no one listens to us.
I am at total disconnect with your meaning. I find that I am impacted by it, however. Sorry, I need to get back to officing, so I'll calender you for tomorrow when I have downtime.
OMG, over the last two years I have seen pairs of shoes hung up on power lines just like in this picture. They appear in random locations about the neighborhood. The first time I witnessed this, I wondered how the shoes had gotten there. They were on a set of power lines that were on my drive to and from work every day. I thought about it every day when I passed them. Only after seeing this same phenomenon all over the neighborhood did I come to the conclusion that it is some form of urban ritual like TPing houses.
Urban legend says it means "Drugs 4 Sale Here." In this particular case (the picture) it is true, but I hestitate to say that all instances of shoes on power lines demarcate dealer territory.
Remember in Big Fish, when everyone who came to the town that was lost in time, or whatever, where Steve Buscemi was the poet, some little imp-girl threw any visitor's shoes over the power line, so the visitor could never leave? Is this a veiled drug reference? I'm reeling.
You know, that never occurred to me, but it seems possible. I usually associate the shoes with heroin and narcotics trade, rather than LSD or pot or something more arty (and socially acceptable). So I'm inclined to say it is not a drug reference here, but then, what do I know?
Post a Comment