Thursday, September 15, 2005

Unobtrusive Poetry

"She sat up slowly, looked in turn at each of us, and her dark eyes were like twin entrances to two deep caves. Nothing lived in those caves. Maybe something had, once upon a time. There were piles of picked bones back in there, some scribbling on the walls, and some gray ash where the fires had been."

"He had a hat the size of a Toyota on his head, a foam thing, red as blood and wobbly as a drunk at dinner, and as he walked down the street whistling like an old flute in a windstorm he would pause and look around, his jack-in-the-box head springy, his eyes a couple of water pistols, wet with tears of frustration..."

These, according to the latest issue of Writer's Digest, are "glittering nuggets of unobtrusive poetry." Or: two "well-chosen word pictures."

Hey you SLC writer people, what gives? I've always resisted these magazines, but saw this one today and made an impulse purchase since I'm putting the movie to bed and gearing up for the novel.

Also, is it just me or is this magazine geared toward housewives? Nothing against housewives, mind you, or magazines, or gearing things toward other things... all the standard disclaimers apply here,, etc, blah blah...it just seems like there's a disproportionate amount of advertising geared toward unhip women (not that housewives are unhip, of course, that goes without saying).

4 comments:

Lisa B. said...

I myself am a Poets & Writers girl, and also whatever that rag the AWP puts out is. So I have never, to my knowledge, looked at Writer's Digest. So I can't tell you what gives, all apologies.

middlebrow said...

I agree with lisa b. Poets and Writers and the AWP Chronicle. You should also check out Robin Hemley's book on writing fiction for the novel. But hey, you're going to have a month, and if takes comparing a hat to a Toyota to move you along, well so be it.

Anonymous said...

The Writer's Digest is obviously affiliated with Reader's Digest, and those nuggets seem like they came straight out of "Humor From the Kitchen" or some such banal column. Also, I don't want to know what "life form" had once lived in the caves of that woman's eyes.

Tim said...

Those nuggets were as unobtrusive as a hat the size of a Toyota.

As for the housewife comments, OMG - not that there is anything wrong with that!