Monday, November 28, 2005

Rejection!

Well, I finally got word from Sundance, who sent me a very nice form rejection over the email. "There were many more worthy entries than we could program" and so forth. "I hope that you will give the festival the same consideration in the future." Slamdance is also not looking so good as I have some friends who have gotten in and were notified a week ago or so. I havent' heard a peep.

Next rejections will be from:

1. South by Southwest
2. San Francisco International Film Festival
3. Tribeca Film Festival

But hey, it's cool, the sun don't rise and set on the Park City Festivals. Fuck those guys. I don't need an excuse to visit the SLC.

Besides, i'm going to use this time to retool the first 20 minutes of the movie (which needs retooling). I must take into account the viewer of the screener casette. I worked for the New Orleans Film Festival one year and I remember what it was like to plow through entries. It isn't fair, but a movie had to grab me in a couple of minutes or I would veg out and eject it after ten. Sorry.

So the opening may change. I am trying to incorporate a chase scene out of stock footage, but hey, I just dunno. Perhaps a fistfight or some lovemaking like the opening scene of Betty Blue. Or monsters. Scary monsters.

19 comments:

Clint Gardner said...

Sundance sucks anyway. The only thing I go to any more are the things they have down here in SLC. The soul-sucking celebrity glam vibe that permeates PC killed it for me about 10 years ago.

Lisa B. said...

Is it possible--y'know, in the narrative flow, justified by the character development and all--to blow some shit up in the first minute or so?

middlebrow said...

Isn't there a film festival in Seattle?

Clint Gardner said...

How about plenty of robot action? He could take on the terminator. People love robots.

Nik said...

You've confirmed it: Sundance bites.

Anonymous said...

Don't forget the MiddleBrow film festival: Sugarhouse's answer to Sundance. Plus: free martinis!

Clint Gardner said...

Free martinis? Woot!

Actually we were going to do our Sugarhood film festival, weren't we? We could extend it out to WJ for lisa b's sake or up to the Aves for whoever still lives up there.

Nik said...

Please include we who live in the hinterlands. The Avenues, now that they're bakery has been dismissed, are at a loss for entertainment (aka martinis).

Condiment said...

Yes, Seattle has a great festival that starts in late May and goes for nearly a month. What will show at the Middlebrow Film Festival? Star Trek 2: Wrath of Khan, Deathtrap, & BBC mysteries?

Clint Gardner said...

Earthquake must be shown at M-B Film Festival. Well at least selected portions and only after 3 martinis.

Anonymous said...

Oh, we can include whatever we want, including the much anticipated Bruiser docu-drama. Maybe Son can dress up in his ninja turtle pjs and we can do a film on that.
(i'm number 11!!!!!)

Lisa B. said...

If we're including Bruiseropolis, then we must schedule the festival for later. Perhaps much later. Perhaps in the second year of the festival, because we may need the martinis now.

Clint Gardner said...

Well I have a whole slew for you but the Festival must be renamed Wookiedance, or at least this portion of it.

Did anyone ever see my Jesus movie?

Condiment said...

I would like to officially submit "Middle-oke" for opening night gala consideration.

Condiment said...

Oh, and I too am very much looking forward to the Bruiser biopic. Certainly you can get a work-in-progress cut together in a month and a half? Plus, since you will be screening a WIP cut you won't wreck your precious world-premiere status before you submit to Cannes.

Counterintuitive said...

MB keeps saying he's going to loan me Puck (hope that's ok) but has failed to produce it so far. It sounds great; I love a good documentary.

Condiment said...

Ron, Mid-B has an old version of the documentary that he shows people but he should also have a newer one too....

Counterintuitive said...

I will keep on him to bring it in--hoping to see it over the break.

I had to make another comment as your comment total is close to some kind of a world record.

Condiment said...

Yeah, no kidding, I feel like Ted Williams.