Saturday, December 10, 2005

Snow Day

Middlebrow called yesterday morning when I was in the throes of pre-work dread. Although I often hate my job I never really experience pre-work dread like I used to when teaching or working at the video store or working as a waiter or administrative assistant or whatever. There isn’t that whole before-work-winding-up and after-work-cooling-down time to get the resentment up—it’s just a bunch of work from the moment you wake up to the moment you pass out. You learn to accept your fate.

I came out to do two days of B-camera on a Super Bowl car commercial and the director, a typically boorish, buffoonish ass, was operating my camera. He didn’t seem that talented—rumor is that he has a brilliant editor—but he clearly enjoys the role and will bully any and everyone he views as being beneath him. It’s laughable because in a situation like that the high-profile director is actually the most expendable person on the shoot. The client hires the ad agency, the ad agency hires the production company, the production company hires the director, the director hires the cinematographer, and the cinematographer hires much of the crew. The agency has the concept and most of the shots all storyboarded out, so even if the director didn’t exist (particularly this one), the commercial would still make itself. You shoot the product from an infinite number of angles and then the brilliant editor cuts it together and they buy the rights to some Led Zeppelin cue and whammo, you have your commercial. It’s not hard. But this guy was going to be a dick and I had to be next to it and receive some of it, so there you go I was seven years old again and back on the playground.

So I went to work, already prepped for a little abuse, but when I arrived it was discovered that there had been a mixup and I wasn’t supposed to be on for the last day of the commercial. Hooray! Of course Production tried to imply that it was a camera department blunder and didn’t want to pay me, but it was their fault so I worked out a deal with them and they paid me cash and I walked out of the airplane hanger and into the wonderful 80-degree sunshine of my snow day.

There was a rebroadcast of an old This American Life last week about a guy who decides to live his life as though he only has six months to live. Eventually, he becomes convinced that he will cease to exist at that point in the future, so he goes about, making preparations and tying up loose ends. He begins to wonder what he wants to do with his remaining time and is surprised to discover that he doesn’t want to climb Mt. Everest or go scuba diving in Belize. He wants to do the ordinary stuff. He wants to hang with his parents and work on the deck or wash dishes or take out the trash.

This is how I felt yesterday. Every little ordinary thing that I did was charged with life. I went to a cafĂ© and put on my iPod and drank coffee and studied a little Korean and wrote out some New Years goals. And I had the best time doing this. I went bowling with my friend Jimmy. I did a little reading. I ate some hot and sour soup. I got a bottle of wine and watched Minority Report. I fell asleep on the couch. Ordinarily, this would be an unspectacular day off, but on this—my snow day—it was very very sweet. Delicious almost.

15 comments:

Lisa B. said...

I know what you mean. Today, I cleaned my house. Toilets, countertops, floors (actually, the historian did this), laundry. I took a break in the middle of the day to take my vacuum cleaner to the shop to get fixed. I ate a fish taco and watched Law and Order: CI (two episodes). It was a great, great day. And my daughter, son-in-law, and granddaughter are now here, sleeping in clean sheeted beds.

Clint Gardner said...

I slept until noon.

I went to the Dandy Warhols.

I ate sushi at the Cirlce Lounge.

It was below freezing all day and I only noticed it when the opened the doors for the band to exit to their (I assume) cozy tour bus after their set and when leaving the Cirlce Lounge.

Anonymous said...

Seattle was a great place to grow up in that respect - enough snow to have a few days off a year, but not enough to invest in the infrastructure to be properly prepared for it and therefore have no snow days at all (not to be insensitive to anyone who has had a snow related accident).

The childlike longing for a snow day never goes away, the closest thing I had to one recently was getting a paid sick-leave day for an employer-sponsored annual physical, which turned out to be all done by 11 in the morning.

I had to use the time though to catch up on a bunch of errands rather than enjoying life's simple pleasures.

Anonymous said...

Ah yes! Seattle snow days! My favorite was when I lived in B'ham and I got stuck in Seattle at my friend's house. We made soup and watched movies for three days until I could make it back to the Ham.
(your cookies are done, btw and will be mailed tomorrow. Enjoy!)

Condiment said...

How were the Dandys and what did you think of "Dig!"?

Condiment said...

I am very excited to consume Dr. Write's baking endeavors! V e r y e x c i t e d ! Check back on the Front Porch for a full review..

Clint Gardner said...

I will write about it, perhaps today.

Clint Gardner said...

Wrote about it in a very scattershot fashion, I fear.

Clint Gardner said...

Oh and the Great Bearding 2005 is off, I fear.

Condiment said...

N o o o o o o o!

Anonymous said...

What is the judging criteria for the Great Bearding 2005? I hope it's whiteness! I'll tromp you all!!

Anonymous said...

E, I work mostly on Commercials... i feel you bro. A director for a commerch Is just a puppet for the prodution compamy/AD Agency....., worthless......... I hate Commercials. These Directors think that the are god just for making Papa John's pissa Look good. F- themk, c_sucking fools!
Give me a movie anyday....

Condiment said...

K is harboring a lot of rage, I see.

Clint Gardner said...

What, exactly, is that sign you are using for you new mugsht supposed to be against?

Condiment said...

No Estacionamiento. No Parking.