We were filming downtown today and big Buick drove past, blaring Run-DMC's "It's Like That," which was one of the singles off their very first record (1983?). I shocked everyone by reciting most of the lyrics. "It's Like That" was one of the songs preferred for lunchtime breakin' battles with Shawn Cromenant ("The Cosmonaut") and Don George. Cromenant was half-Asian and Don George was Native American and they were both thugs, multicultural breakdancin' thugs. They struck terror into our lily white hearts and I shall never forget the Cosmonaut doing some weird and sinister Pop-Locking, advancing on me slowly while the middle school watched and "It's Like That" blared from his stolen ghetto blaster.
I knew "It's Like That" before I even knew who Run-DMC was. Along with Afrika Bambaataa's "Planet Rock," Grandmaster Flash's "White Lines," and "Jam on It" by Nucleus.
I also know "Sucker MCs" by heart and the entire Public Enemy album "It Takes a Nation of Millions To Hold Us Back," which I listened to every day for about 2 years (and wore out 3 cassettes in the process).
Sometimes I wish I could delete those memory files and free up some space on the ole gray hard drive (for names, perhaps, or birthdays, or anything C-Span related). I would like to release the PE lyrics into the ether, but the Run-DMC lyrics should stay and stay forever.
Here's another point in life you should not miss
Do not be a fool who's prejudice
Because we're all written down on the same list
It's like that (what?) and that's the way it is
Huh!
Peace to JMJ!
9 comments:
ticket to ride, white line highway
tell all your friends they can go my way
I still have my cassette. I'm going to force MB and Son to listen to it now.
I'll throw it down your throat like Barkley.
You see these car keys?
You'll never get these?
They belong to the 98 posse.
and
I love the way it hugs
The road like it does
You want to know why?
Well, because.
Sadly, I don't have the lyrics to any 80's era rap memorized. or any lyrics for that matter--I'm the person who always mishears lyrics. But in hs, when I worked at the Taco Bell, my boss called my Grandmaster Melle Mel. Let's not forget that "White Lines" was not just Grandmaster Flash, but also Melle Mel. That's a nickname I wish had stuck.
It's not funny when you left without an umbrella
Then it rains ... you're an unlucky (unhappy?) fella
Talking is the one thing
that you can do best
You taught the cavity creeps
to watch out for Crest
D's for never dirty
MC's for mostly clean
PS - Go 'Hawks!
Broken glass, everywhere!
People pissin in the station like they just don't care
from "The Message"
Now is the winter of our discontent
Made glorious summer by this sun of York
What is needed here now is a good old Ole-Lena joke!
if you want to" fight the power", you mustknow "911 is a joke" so go get" some tumbstone chips and put gravey on it"
Post a Comment