Thursday, August 31, 2006

Cinema of the No-Longer-Relevant

1. Martin Scorsese
2. Wes Anderson
3. Atom Egoyan
4. Hal Hartley
5. Brian DePalma
6. Ridley Scott
7. Mike Leigh
8. Woody Allen
9. Oliver Stone
10. Spike Lee (oh wait, Spike is suddenly relevant again)
11. Quentin Tarantino
12. Francis Ford Coppola
13. John Woo
14. Anything with Al Pacino in it
15. The Coen Brothers

Joel Schumacher isn't on the list because he was never relevant

7 comments:

Lisa B. said...

Hmm! So, who is relevant?

I haven't written off all these people yet, but then, I have famously low standards, movie-wise. I loved the recent Spike Lee, the work-for-hire Inside Man. I still think QT might make another good movie--I dispute your argument that all his films post Reservoir Dogs have been, what was it, baggy and masturbatory. But never mind.

Regarding Scorsese: I recently finally saw The Hustler, and was pretty impressed by what a terrific film it was. I loved The Color of Money, and would like to watch it again to see what it looks like in comparison. Scorsese's later films have given me a lot of pleasure, just not the big events. I loved Kundun, for instance, and also After Hours, which I recommend to one and all if they haven't seen it.

I won't say anything about Wes Anderson, lest it provoke you to rage.

Sorry for going on and on in the comment space of your blog. But you did make a list of movie directors, and that always gets me going.

Anonymous said...

Oh. I am sad. All my favorites are on the list. My original favorite: Woody Allen. My later favorites: Atom Egoyan, Hal Hartley.
My most recent favorite: Wes Anderson.
How about Noah Baumbach?
Who is good?
I guess I have to stick with my most recent favorite movies-- Little Miss Sunshine; Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind; Lost in Translation.
Sophia? Can she please be relevant?
I put a lot of stock in your opinion.

middlebrow said...

Woody Allen is still relevant. I don't know how. But somehow. I just can't quit Woody Allen.

Condiment said...

I forgot to add Tim Burton and Wim Wenders to that list, BTW.

Condiment said...

I also forgot Wong Kar-Wai, which is the reason why this list was made in the first place...

Condiment said...

David Mamet too.

Clint Gardner said...

I never like relevency anyway. I never see movies in the summer either, really, so I feel completely out of touch. The only movie I've watched all summer was Gus Van Sant's Last Day; extremely ponderous but it tracked in an interesting way that wouldn't let me stop watching it.