Friday, September 01, 2006

Cinema of the Relevant

1. Jonathan Glazer
2. Alfonso Cuaron
3. David Fincher
4. Christopher Nolan
5. PT Anderson
6. Noah Baumbach
7. David O. Russell
8. Sofia Coppola
9. Richard Linklater (barely hangin' on)
10. Spike Jonze
11. Alejandro Inarrito
12. Ang Lee

Poseurs
1. Doug Liman
2. Guy Ritchie
3. Luc Besson
4. Robert Rodriguez

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

I sadly note that there is only one woman on your list. I used to like Alison Anders, but she is old school. I liked "Friends with Money." Isn't that by a chick?

Lisa B. said...

You're right, these are almost all better than your "Irrelevant" list, except I don't think Linklater is just hanging on--I thought Scanner Darkly was amazing. Why Christopher Nolan, though? Batman Begins, come on!

I will endorse Dr. Write's point, and suggest Nicole Holofcener, Lisa Cholodenko, and Kimberly Peirce as additions to your list.

Clint Gardner said...

Thank you for your posseur placement of Robert Rodriguez. Talk about ego: he almost makes MKS look humble.

Scorcese would be a tough call to me. I don't think he would fall on the irrelevant list: he'd fall in the cracks where all the other directors have fallen between listed and not listed.

Condiment said...

I'm not familiar w. these directors, Lisa B, but I will check them out...

Condiment said...

BTW, Lisa B, your the second intelligent person I've met who has excoriated me over liking Batman Begins. I thought BB was smart and scary and totally entertaining and made the Tim Burton efforts look like poo. Please forgive me.

Clint Gardner said...

I liked Batman Begins quite a lot too.