Monday, October 09, 2006

Eye Contact

I've always been lousy at eye contact. It's terrible. It makes me look sneaky, or dishonest, or bored, or disinterested, or that I'm leering at women in the background. I'm conscious of it, though, and I recognize that I'm looking away when its happening. But I can't help myself. I just don't like staring at people's faces for long periods of time.

Perhaps this is why my Celebrity Sightings sidebar is so lame. I go through life with my head down, largely, in a book or otherwise. I'm not going to make that celebrity sighting because I'm not so into the idea of looking at people in general. Z, of course, has had tons of recent celebrity sightings--including waiting at the valet with Dan Rather and sitting next to comedienne Judy Tenuda on the plane--but usually I only have sightings when I'm with someone else who puts their identity together. Then I confirm it or deny it. This is my role in life. To say, yes, you're right, but they look a little OLDER. Or to say, no, i don't think so, nice try, though.

So today I'm trying to start the Eyecontact Performance and Maintenance Directive (EPMD). I will look at people until it's uncomfortable for both of us and then I'll continue to stare into their eyeballs. This morning I went up to the Coffee Bean and felt something happening in my periphery...and instead of ignoring it I turned my head and flicked my eyes over instantly and caught a cute book-reading woman checking me out. She immediately looked down into her book, embarrassed--humilated really! It could have been my vintage green Lucky Charms shirt. Or my charming bedhead. Or perhaps she wasn't even looking at me. But by seizing the moment and not looking away, I reclaimed control of the situation. She feels like she was caught staring, even if she wasn't. Ha ha! Look at all of this fine entertainment one can have by looking people right in the face! My god, who knew?

3 comments:

Lisa B. said...

I find myself increasingly doing the peripheral eye connection, even with people I'm talking to, or else the contact-and-flick-away action. So I commend you on the ECMD. I hope you'll report. Also, I like the celebrity sightings sidebar. It's voyeurism by proxy, and I'm cool with that.

Anonymous said...

I've always been pretty good at eye contact, but since I've been teaching I've found the students (okay, male students) who look at me constantly, without blinking, either in class or in my office, make me nervous. I always wonder if I have something on my face, or if they find me ridiculous. But in general I try to ignore their eye contact. I look, then look away. Whenever anyone looks me in the eye for too long, I like to think they are flirting with me. It makes me feel better about the fact that no one flirts wiht me anymore. Instead, I get called ma'am.

Tim said...

Ahhh, eye contact issues...

There is a great deal of meaning here. Eye contact is a powerful construct.

I went through a similar phase about 10 years ago when I made a concerted effort to sit with that uncomfortable feeling and force myself to connect to others' eyes.

If you keep it up, it will become more natural and you will likely uncover a strong feeling of social empowerment.