Friday, February 15, 2008

Works Right Out of the Box

Originally this post was going to be about how much of my life is spent troubleshooting stuff that should work right out of the box. Nothing ever works this way for some reason. Usually there is 2-12 hours of annoying instructions reading, and then, online forums consulting, and temper losing, and object throwing, and hand bruising.

Here are some examples:

1. Wireless Router
2. Syncing phone to computer
3. Syncing computer to my .mac account
4. Any kind of syncing whatsoever.
5. DVD studio Pro.
6. Videoconferencing with the folks
7. Data recovery software
8. Etc, etc.

None of this is that complicated, but none of it ever works right out of the box. Is it just me or is it everyone?

Instead I'm going to write about my massive external drive meltdown which claimed 2 drives at once (most of my doc and virtually all of the backup--almost a terabyte of data). It's very possible that all of this is gone, and if it isn't gone, that it'll cost $2500 per drive to get it back (worse than being gone, actually). Yikes!

So I'm trying to have a positive attitude, like maybe this is a good way to restart, a real-life Cntl-Alt-Delete to let me get going on newer projects instead of endlessly tweaking the one I've been working on for so long.

If only George Lucas had something like this happen to Episodes 4, 5, and 6 of Star Wars... maybe that would've prevented him from endlessly fiddling with the trilogy. Primitive special effects are not the end of the world, George.

8 comments:

Clint Gardner said...

Well that sucks. There are data rescue programs out there that might help you. Email me with details of your melt down. I have helped many a person recover his or her data in the past.

Lisa B. said...

Wow. Horrible. And it's external drives, which are supposed to be the evidence that you're taking care NOT to lose data. My sincere condolences, and maybe theorris will be your data-savior.

Dr Write said...

I mostly don't know what you're talking about, but I'm glad you blogged. We need more news from the land of the sunny and happy.

Condiment said...

Remember that scene in Psycho where the rich dude comes into the bank, waving $20k in cash around and bragging, "I never carrry more than I can afford to lose"?

Of course Janet Leigh steals it and the guy freaks out, because he can't afford to lose that much.

So please back up your data, ladies and gentlemen. Or back up everything you can't afford to lose. If you can afford to lose all of it, then that's okay too.

Nik said...

Oh, I so know feeling as if on the cusp of the ctrl alt del. Move on? I practice by emailing everything to some (two or three well-chosen and well-servered) candidates. Their comments always help and if I can't always rely on yahoo, I can rely on their googles or msns to maintain a copy.
All of this is by way of saying--spread the word through email.
I do hope you get that stuff back. You should get to choose when to push the delete key.

middlebrow said...

Nothing works in LA.

Condiment said...

Well, by some miracle one of my drives came back online for long enough for me to get the data off of it. My friend Aaron and I took the other drive and cut the external casing and pried it all off (getting bloody in the process) to see if it was just the external enclosure that was bad. It was!!!! It's all naked and frail and exposed now but the data's off of it and it works fine anyway now.

Saved all my data, saved a bunch of money, got a good drunk on, learned a lesson, hey!

Clint Gardner said...

Excellent news.

Get down to Best Buy and buy the 50 pack of DVDs and backup everything!

Do it!

Do it!

And bacon up that sausage while your at it.