Wednesday, July 02, 2008

New York Doll

This is a great doc if you haven't seen it already. It's about Arthur "Killer" Kane, the bassist for the seminal New York Dolls back in the early 70s. Thirty years later he's converted to Mormonism and he "works" in the library of the LDS temple here in LA. Morrissey invites him and the other estranged Dolls to reunite and play at a festival in England and the movie is about seeing whether this now-meek, mostly broken man will be able to pull it off.

arhur11

It sounds pretty straightforward, but it's absolutely fascinating, largely because Kane is fascinating. The movie came from the same guys who eventually did "King of Kong" (Seth Gordon, Ed Cunningham, et al), but it has none of the snark and arched eyebrows of that movie. The film feels like a first film -- technically it's a little awful, on par with my movie, I think... the editing and sound and cinematography aren't that great -- but it just goes to show that Finding the Interesting Human is 99% of problem when you're making a doc. Casting is 90% of directing, and that goes for docs too, I guess.

arthur_kid_rock

A good watch, anyway.

http://www.newyorkdollmovie.com/

5 comments:

Dr Write said...

Yes! I loved this doc. As you can imagine, it was quite popular here. But the main appeal, for me, was seeing this band reunited, all the weird personal stuff. Etc. A fascinating guy.

Anonymous said...

yeah i really enjoyed the doc! Can't wait to see yours on the big screen soon!! Go E! Go!

Lisa B. said...

I loved how the movie took its little twists--and how weird a story it was, and how it was true. For me, a once and probably forever Mormon in some form or another, I loved loved loved hearing David Johansson play "A Poor Wayfaring Man of Grief" at the very very end. It was like something from Exile on Main Street, but Mormon. Also, Morrissey just couldn't have been any handsomer.

Clint Gardner said...

I kind of like stories about how people come to Mormonism. They relate to 19th century stories about how people came to Mormonism so well.

lis said...

I loved this movie. I love the New York Dolls. I loved that my mom, who complained about my high school music listening habits (which included the Dolls) saw this movie three times. Proof that god loves glam rock.