Monday, November 21, 2011

Replacing Yourself

The first time I had hire someone above me I laughed it off as a novelty. Then it kept happening again, and again. An odd feeling to hire a person who makes 50% more than you and who prevents you from being promoted. Odd to have them be ungrateful and aloof as well. Just odd.

"But I'm hiring you," I would think. "I am in charge of your employment, even if you're technically higher than me and making more." At least acknowledge this, please. Not that I'm needy or anything, but come on.

As commercials and movies started shifting to HD from film, a new position was called the Digital Imaging Technician was created to supervise this nascent video format. The duties of this new position are amorphous and unclear, although most of us have our own definition. As budgets get smaller and smaller, our own pay scales suffer, but the DIT position seems impregnably new and scary.

Lately it's been a bunch of 25-year-olds with little set experience who bluff their way into these positions. They have computer experience but no video engineering experience and definitely no camera experience. But they have something that these productions think they need, for now. It's hard to watch this happen. It's hard to be asked to be the one to select which kid will get his undeserving payday while you get passed over.

Then again, I could very well set myself up to make a play on this position, even though it might sabotage my current status with my boss. I could complain, like a unionized old man whose skills are becoming less and less valued and relevant. Or I could adapt, and adopt, and be flexible.

I suppose this is what it is all about. Feeling obsolete and unappreciated and doing nothing about it.

We must be flexible if we are to survive.

We must.

1 comment:

Dr Write said...

Another way to survive is to kill everyone else, or what I like to call The Predator Way. Maybe I'll write a best selling business book with this title?
I say come up with your own way to bs your way into this position and then you can make 2 salaries and work half as much.