Monday, December 19, 2011

Five Gold Rings

Yesterday we shot a Budweiser commercial: a parody of the 12 Days of Christmas starring various NBA peripherals such as the Chicago Bulls cheerleaders, the Phoenix Suns gorilla, and Mark Cuban.

The last person to be filmed was Steve Kerr, the former shooting guard with the highest 3-point percentage of all time. Kerr won five championships (3 with the Jordan-era Bulls, and 2 with the Spurs), but I will always remember him as the short, blonde gunner on the Arizona Wildcats of 1987-1988. That was the year he and Sean Elliott took Arizona to the Final Four, losing to Oklahoma, who eventually lost to Danny Manning and the Kansas Jayhawks.

But I remember watching numerous Arizona games that year, being in high school and having plenty of time to do so. Kerr would launch 3-pointer after 3-pointer, and whenever he made one, the Arizona PA announcer would sing "Steeeeeeeeeeve Keerrrrrrrrrrrr!" and 20,000 U of A fans would sing back, pitch perfectly, "Steeeeeeeeve Kerrrrrrr!"

I think he shot 55% from 3-point range that year, or something just as ridiculous.

So, of course, when Kerr finished his scenes with us and everybody was clapping politely, my assistant and I had to yell: "Steeeeeeeeeve Kerrrrrrrrrr!"

Nobody else knew what we were doing, but he looked at me, threw back his head and laughed.

He's the general manager of the Suns now and I think he might be back doing broadcasting for TNT, and he's won 5 championship rings, but I suspect nothing compares to that Final Four run in 1988, when he was 22 years old and chucking threes and the whole world was chanting his name.

3 comments:

Lisa B. said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Lisa B. said...

(I had a horrible typo in the previous version of this.)


That's awesome--yelling that, and that he was delighted. I remember thinking Steve Kerr was like a deadly silver bullet that any team with him on it had--even when he was supposedly past his prime, he had an unnerving ability to hit the three in a clutch situation. It was like a dagger to the heart, but it was also beautiful and fantastic.

(p.s., I love seeing basketball players of yore in the flesh. It rules.)

middlebrow said...

The daughter of Lynn's dissertation chair is Kerr's wife. Small world.