On the 25th I'm going to be reading some short fiction (my own) in front of a paying audience of strangers. Urp. This is my first time to do this. It's part of a larger monthly "semi-literary salon" that will feature of 20-minute clip of my movie and live music from The Santiago Steps (the guys who did many songs in the film).
Even though the fiction read was my idea I am terrified of this and thought I might entreat the SLC contingent for a lil advice.
BTW, I will go SHORT AND FUNNY with my selection.
Thanks for listening...
7 comments:
That sounds like a pretty great event. I concur with short and funny, although one of the best fiction readings I ever heard was long(er) and --not dark, but kind of smoky. It had jazz in it.
Go with what you think is your best writing, is my advice. Practice reading it, and pace yourself.
You'll be great.
Hey that's cool.
While I'm not super-expert (I did a hell of a lot more readings when I was a college kid than I even think of now), I agree with Lisa: practice and pace yourself. It is easy to read way too fast. Do the 3 beat count thing after people laugh and don't sweat it if they don't laugh where you expect them too. Get yourself a mini audience to give you feed back before you read and carry a pencil and note on your text the crowd's reaction (even while reading for real.)
Full of advice am I!
And drink lots of water. You should always remain hydrated. And don't forget to bring a towell.
Do you advise acty-ness? That is, reading quoted lines as an actor might? Or just keeping it flat?
Neither flat nor over dramatic. Neither too long nor too short. Neither too funny and clever nor too dramatic and tragic.
Neither a borrower nor a lender be.
I tend to read flat. I hate readers who emote too much, as if they were "dramatic readers" rather than authors. Better deadpan than expecting the laugh. That's my logic. If it can said to be "logic." And def. funny and short. Make them want more.
Yeah I'd ditch the "actiness" unless your are an acty. Even actors mess up that kind of stuff too, however. I think flat is fine. And NEVER EVER attempt an accent that is not your own. Oy.
Post a Comment