Tuesday, June 13, 2006

World Cup and the Decline of Productivity

The 2006 FIFA World Cup is upon us and I am getting nothing done. These are Idle Times for the film business in LA (but not in NY for some reason), and I was hoping to use these weeks to catch up on life in general, but I shelled out for cable TV for the first time in my entire life and now I'm up at 6AM every day to watch the games. This is better than the 11:30 pm/4:30 am slots from the 2002 World Cup in Korea and Japan...but it's still wreaking havoc on the system. I am in a bizarre 2-Naps-per-day mode to accomodate the early start times...

The Americans look terrible, the Japanese look terrible, the English look terrible, even the Brazilians look mediocre. So far only Argentina looks good. Four out of the five African countries lost already (Ivory Coast, Angola, Togo, and Ghana). Tunisia plays tomorrow against Saudi Arabia, I think. So I'm putting all of my hopes in with the Mexicans...and my plan is to go back into my neighborhood and watch the game in a local bar surrounded by passionate Latinos who actually care about the sport.

Here's a story in The Economist about why the World Cup is far superior to the Olympics.

4 comments:

Clint Gardner said...

My evening productivity in June always sucks. Not only is there always the NBA playoffs/finals, but there is also the Stanley Cup. As I recall last year I was somewhat less of a couch potato because the SC was cancelled. Was that last year? Yeesh now I can't remembers! I'm kind of glad I'm not into soccer because I'd probably be tempted to buy cable too since most of the NBA playoff games were on ESPN (those sons of bitches.)

Anonymous said...

Aaah! We have found the Achilles heel of the freakishly productive E: World Cup Soccer! Unfortunately I have about 5 or 6 heels, which doesn't work out, metaphor wise. Let's see: they are Son, Middlebrow, exercise, house projects, swimming, and, um, drinking.
Go Argentina!

Lisa B. said...

I watched the US v Italy game yesterday and got a rather large charge out of it. I thought they played great against a classic European style team. Rage against the overzealous refereeing! We're looking forward to more futbol around here, definitely. Also the remaining b-ball. the orris: the NBA playoffs is why they _invented_ cable.

Clint Gardner said...

Bullshit, lb. They invented BROADCAST TV FOR BASKETBALL. It and only it is the reason that broadcast TV stayed around.

Well maybe football, but, damnit, UHF was built for B-Ball and plenty of it.

And stay off my grass!