Saturday, July 29, 2006

The Big Boycott -or- Say No To AVP2

I've decided to boycott all remakes and sequels coming out of Hollywood for the next two years. These people need to be punished, really punished. It used to be that remakes and sequels were done only to megablockbusters, but these days if a movie turns a profit at all then it's going to get a sequel. Big Momma's House 2? Alien V. Predator 2? Remake of the Hitcher? Remake of Adventures in Babysitting? Love Boat's coming soon, you can count on it.

The gf insists I'm missing out on a complete life by not watching Superman Returns, but I have to take a pricipled stand on this one. I won't reward these executives for their complete lack of balls. Every year there are fewer and fewer films that don't come from some prexisting source material, be it a former version, a prequel, a famous novel, a Broadway musical, whatever.

The exception to this is Jackass 2, b/c it was shot on mini-DV for about 5 dollars...

I notice that Neil La Bute has remade the Wicker Man, BTW, and I fear the worst...

10 comments:

Lisa B. said...

Exception for Jackass 2? Huh. Everyone has an exception.

In general, however, I support your stand. I have taken it a step further, and am practically no longer seeing movies that are even _likely_ to spawn sequels. Head 'em off at the pass, I say.

middlebrow said...

I saw Big Momma's House 2 on the plane trip back from Russia. I found parts of it funny because there was nothing else to do. I also saw Cheaper By the Dozen 2, King Kong, and The Family Stone all on the same flight from Moscow to New York. Good times.

Favorite film on the flight: Cheaper by the Dozen 2.

Least favorite film: King Kong.

Anonymous said...

Yes, I think it's good to automatically despise films because they have a number at the end. But then this reminds me why they changed the name of "The Madness of King George II" to "The Madness of King George." Because test audiences were afraid they'd missed the first one.
Huh. We're dumber than we think.
But, let's see, I think I liked X-Men 2, but I can't remember, which is a bad sign.
But then there are sequels without the 2, like "Sleepless in Seattle" which was basically "When Harry Met Sally 2" and "You Have Mail" which is "Sleepless in Seattle 2." Those are bad. All bad.
And AvP2 has to be bad.
But Star Wars 2, all good, baby.

Anonymous said...

Hmmm..blanket boycotts might mean missing out on some good stuff...how about Aliens, Empire Strikes back and Return of the Jedi for that matter. And I loved the Lord of the Rings trilogy. I agree that alot of sequels don't hold up to the original, but I would be bummed if I never got to see some of those characters in action again.

Superman Returns took me back to being a kid again in the movie theaters. And I love that! Any chance to go back and remember what it's like when you weren't thinking about how tough production must have been or the number of extras, and instead just enjoyed living in a different world for a couple of hours and getting your emotions tugged back and forth by the score. There's nothing like watching movies like that! They remind me of why I want to make films...and I don't care if they are sequels if they are good.

Tim said...

Way of the Puck 2!

Now that is going to be an amazing sequel.

I'll let you know how it ends Sleepy.

Lisa B. said...

irrelevant to this discussion: you saw Al Green? that's kind of a big deal! how did you know it was him? was he humming "let's stay together"?

Counterintuitive said...

I'm conflicted about sequels/using old material: on the one hand it is clearly an example of the "no balls" mentality and I hate how this attitude limits what we are exposed to. On the other hand I like the opportunity to compare all the King Kongs, for example, as a way to evaluate societal ethos and re-experience a film I saw as a kid with my own kid. Maybe a terrible reason for seeing a movie but one I have to admit to.

Clint Gardner said...

I'm all down for Forbidden Planet: the Remake. I really want to see what they do with Robbie the Robot.

Condiment said...

I was reading that Bryan Singer considered Superman Returns to be a "warm-up" for his upcoming remake of Logan's Run.

Al Green was pointed out to me by others in my group who met him and took pictures...

Clint Gardner said...

Logan Run? Why don't they just remake Saturn 5 while they're remaking a series of craptastic 70s sci fi??