Saturday, July 08, 2006

On Tour

Portland is the first stop on a two-week, eight-city, post-Katrina State Farm commercial. This sounds fun but is actually kind of stressful b/c we are understaffed and there is a motherlode of unreliable equipment to marshal and I am the only one to blame really when things start to go bad.

I haven't been to Portland in many many years but it is beautiful and small and leafy and filled with bicyclists and young almost-indigent alt kids that bring back "My Own Private Idaho."

I love Portland.

This is a picture of Powell's.

IMG_1276

This is a picture of Evelyn Waugh marketed as Chick Lit (!).

IMG_1275

This is a picture of the Willamette (sp?).

IMG_1279

This is a picture of the teddy bear that came with my swanky eco-friendly hotel.

IMG_1281

This is a picture of my purchases (I have no business buying so many books and lugging them around without reading them).

IMG_1283

6 comments:

Clint Gardner said...

Nice. I need to go to Portlamd again.

Lisa B. said...

I love, love, love Portland. I have that Nicholson Baker book you bought, though I couldn't get into it when I first tried. I should try again.

Clint Gardner said...

What Jonn Berger is that?

Anonymous said...

Super cute teddy bear....my friend Michelle says, "Powell's books is her religion." Wish I could see Portland too.

Condiment said...

John Berger's is "g".

Anonymous said...

I loved that Umberto Eco book. I loved the book itself, but I can't think of a better life than being an antiquarian and I thought it was a brilliant backdrop for a romp through history.

I hope you enjoy it.