Last Sunday I invited a friend to come out and play in our closed Sunday morning basketball game. He isn't a close friend, but he is a good work friend, and I've known him since I moved out here. These days I don't see him much--maybe twice a year--but I just worked with him recently and we always seem to get along. He's genuinely friendly and not arrogant, in other words, totally un-Hollywood.
He's short and round, not fat, and not really possessing a pure basketball body if you know what I mean. I think he played soccer in college, but these days he looks a little dumpy (that's a terrible word but I how else to describe it). But he showed interest in playing with us and even though the games have been crowded lately I invited him to come because he's a good guy and why not, right?
Well, he ended up on the other team, and much to my surprise, was kind of a ballhog. He shot the ball about 75% he was passed to and, if he was open, he shot it 100% of the time, no matter what the distance.
I was kind of shocked. He was out there gunning 3s and taking off-balance shots and generally being kind of a black hole. I couldn't believe it. In the end he started hitting some of those shots, but I was bothered by this breach of basketball etiquette, especially his first time out with another group, my group.
Now he's talking about coming back every week.
We showed up separately so people don't know he's connected to me, necessarily, but they will.
Arg, what to do, what to do?
Condiment's Daily Sleep Index:
Yesterday was a little murderous (I slept through one of my alarms for 90 minutes) and felt out of it, but today, Day 5, has been pretty good. I'm even cutting my naps back to two a day to see if that's more workable. Once I start this movie I don't know how feasible taking 3 naps a day, every 4.5 hours, is going to be.
2 comments:
He must be banned from the game.
I posed this question to the historian, running son, and soccer coach son when we were driving home from Idaho yesterday. All concurred that you must confront the man, preferably in the context of the game: "pass!" Soccer coach son said you must "quit being such a girl" and do this, though I can't imagine what he might have meant.
Post a Comment