Today is day 4 of my new sleep system. The MB heard me preach about it yesterday but I still have a lot to say.
Polyphasic sleep (there’s a good entry at Wikipedia) is sleep that spreads itself out in little naps throughout the day instead of going for one big 8-9 hr hibernation every night. The legend is that DaVinci took 6 30-minute naps spread throughout the day, without ever having a long sleeping period. Buckminster Fuller was an advocate, as was Edison, perhaps, and others.
The idea being that you can substitute a full 90-minute sleep cycle with a 20-minute power nap if you get down into REM sleep immediately.
One also becomes forced to consider the length and duration of his cycles. Sleeping 7 hours will make one feel way more zombiefied than only sleeping 6 (because 7 hours has you waking up in deep stage four sleep, sabotaging you with all of that sleep intertia, whereas coming up after 6 has you emerging right as you come out of light sleep).
A lifetime of naps is pretty hardcore, however, so after considerable reading I decided on a hybrid system:
4 ½ of core sleep nightly (12am to 4:30am)
3 20-minute naps (roughly every 4 ½ hours)
That’s it.
The gf thought it was insane, but now approves, and says I actually seem more rested, and certainly happier.
The Cons:
--This may work but might not be healthy for the body in the long run. There’s probably a reason why the human body defaults to an 8-hour long sleep if left to its own devices without alarm clocks around. I plan to do a fortnightly 9-hour reboot just to give my body some of the missing deep sleep it craves.
--I could very well feel like a zombie from days 3-8 as the body adjusts to this new sleeping methodology. I admit, this morning was hard.
--Normal people think this is strange behavior…and don’t get why I have to retreat for naps all day long.
--A normal job situation makes this difficult unless you can nap at lunchtime every day.
The Pros:
--Over 18 hours of pure productivity every day.
--Daily exercise, cooking, film watching, reading, and blogging because of these extra hours.
--Alcohol consumption down to zero, immediately (it’ll screw up my sleep schedule)
--Coffee consumption down to 16 oz a day, immediately (about a third of what it was)
--Drinking gallons of water throughout the day to flush my body so I can sleep during my naps.
--More time freed up to spend with the GF
--Fewer hours of sleep, but better quality sleep, so feeling more rested.
Anyway, I’m going to post a little footnote everyday to monitor progress. I might need this thing to stay on target. So please indulge Condiment and his Daily Sleep Index if you will….
A random side note: We saw Ratatouille last night and it was AWESOME. Just great. The GF and I were remarking that it might have been the first time both of us had wanted to actually go to the same movie... Pixar and its people just blow my mind. I was reading somewhere (the New Yorker?) that Ratatouille gets better, more believable, more moving performances out of its animated characters than 99% of live-action movies do from their real actors. That’s about right, I think. The best part: a flashback near the end which had me howling with genuine laughter, the gf bawling her head off, and the kids in the audience gaping in wide-eyed wonder. All at the same time. Really great. Highly recommended.
4 comments:
Kramer did this, right?
I also loved Ratatouille. So. Good. As I said at my post, best children's movie ever.
I, too, think your sleeping plan is crazy. Though the difference between six and seven hours makes sense. I think I usually get 7 and wake feeling like a zombie.
Good luck to you with your sleep experiment. You should write an essay about it. Or make a documentary.
Well, good luck on the craziness. I am very interested to hear about how it all turns out.
I too loved Ratatouille, deciding to go after Dr. W's blog recommendation. It was funny and sweet and beautiful, actually. That flashback was perfect. Actually, I loved the restaurant critic so much--his room was shaped like a coffin--how funny is that?
And I hate all movies, by the way, as you know...
Yes, Orris, I never saw the episode but I have read things to this effect.
Post a Comment