Dad says the last new year's resolution he made was when he was 32 and it was the only one he was ever able to keep: He resolved to never make more resolutions.
However, setting the 52x52x52x52 goal (Quad 52s: 52 books, 52 movies, 52 blog posts, in 52 weeks) has kept me on point all year. There was even a moment when I thought I might reach 60 on all fronts.
For a while I thought that this goal was achieved without cutting into other time--that I had simply carved space from the leftover bits in my life. But I see now that is not the case. Next year I might make a similar goal, but it will be half as ambitious.
Here is a partial list of the books read this year, not including craft books (on writing, gardening, etc, which are technically books which were read cover to cover, and which add to the overall total, but which are not worth listing here):
1. Blood Meridian -- Cormac McCarthy
2. A Perfect Mess: The Hidden Benefits of Disorder -- Eric Abrahamson & David Freedman
3. In the House -- Lynn Kilpatrick
4. Zeitoun -- Dave Eggers
5. The Mezzanine -- Nicholson Baker
6. Everything You Know is Ping Pong -- Roger Bennett & Eli Horowitz
7. The Wasp Factory -- Iain Banks
8. The Financial Lives of the Poets -- Jess Walter
9. Gun With Occasional Music -- Jonathan Lethem
10. Shop Class As Soulcraft -- Matthew B. Crawford
11. The Lady and the Monk -- Pico Iyer
12. The Kite Runner -- Khaled Hosseini
13. Best Magazine Writing 2006 -- American Society of Magazine Editors
14. Radioactive: Marie & Pierre Curie: A Tale of Love and Fallout -- Lauren Redniss
15. Juliet, Naked -- Nick Hornby
16. Battle Hymn of the Tiger Mother -- Amy Chua
17. The Macrophenomenal Pro Basketball Almanac -- Free Darko (Bethlehem Shoals, et al)
18. Freedom -- Jonathan Franzen
19. Manhood for Amateurs -- Michael Chabon
20. Robinson Crusoe -- Daniel Defoe
21. The Great American Stickup -- Robert Scheer
22. Buffalo Lockjaw -- Greg Ames
23. Huckleberry Finn -- Mark Twain
24. Where Good Ideas Come From -- Steven Johnson
25. The Big Short -- Michael Lewis
26. Lush Life -- Richard Price
27. Planet of Slums -- Mike Davis
28. The War of Art -- Steven Pressfield
29. Wuthering Heights -- Emily Bronte
30. The 25th Hour -- David Benioff
31. How We Decide -- Jonah Lehrer
32. Conquest of the Useless: Reflections on the Making of Fitzcarraldo -- Werner Herzog
33. Candyfreak: A Journey Through the Chocolate Underbelly of America -- Steve Almond
34. How Soccer Explains the World -- Franklin Foer
35. Never Let Me Go -- Kazuo Ishiguro
36. Traffic: Why We Drive the Way We Do (and What It Says About Us) -- Tom Vanderbilt
37. Jesus' Son -- Denis Johnson
38. Word Freak -- Stephan Fatsis
39. I Am Not Sidney Poiter -- Percival Everett
40. Do-Over -- Robin Hemley
41. The Thousand Autumns of Jacob DeZoet -- David Mitchell
42. Wise Blood -- Flannery O'Connor
43. The Immortal Life of Henrietta Lacks -- Rebecca Skloot
44. House of Holes -- Nicholson Baker
45. Oyster -- John Biguenet
46. Divisidero -- Michael Ondaatje
47. In Fact: The Best of Creative Nonfiction
Others: McSweeney's Panorama Single-Issue Newspaper (like a book), Grow Great Grub, Small Claims Crap, Your Screenplay Sucks, Save the Cat, The First Five Pages, The Forest For the Trees, On Writing by Stephen King, Elmore Leonard's 10 Rules of Writing, etc.
2 comments:
I am an inveterate resolutions maker, but in the last few years, I've said things like, "Next year I want more..." --reading, music, walking, whatever in my life. I'm not sure it helps, but it doesn't hurt, and reminds me of what things are, if not missing, then scarcer than I'd like them to be in my life.
However, I am making some concrete goals this year. I am going to go to at least one literary reading a month. I am going to identify specific times each week to write. And I am going to blog more. In fact, I am going to try to blog daily. That's right. You heard it here first.
Nice list, by the way. I am working on my year's movie list--wait for it!
Excellent list. I only read about 30 books this year, which is just below my typical avg. of 35. I may try to read more next year, but I haven't decided on any resolutions just yet.
Now, though, we need the list of your top five or ten with little mini-reviews.
Post a Comment