I'm wondering if anyone can recommend some plot-driven fiction that rises above the muck, preferably (but not exclusively) in the mystery/suspense/crime genres. Books that create a nice mood of psychological dread are especially coveted!
Old and new books are both good, all genders, other genres are okay too, really whatever, anything is great as long as it's plot-driven and cool.
Thanks!
6 comments:
I think I mentioned Crying of Lot 49. Try Hemmingway's pot boiler too: To Have and Have Not. Great book made into a better movie. Hmm. I don't want to get too far off track, but Jayne Eyre is a pot boiler mystery if there ever was one and Kafka is the man for taking standard formula and fucking with it.
Of course, I don't have to mention Shakespeare.
I believe I have mentioned once or a bunch of times how much I admire Elmore Leonard's crime fiction. I thought Out of Sight, Touch, Freaky Deaky, Killshot, Get Shorty,
Maximum Bob, and Rum Punch were all good.
Also, I think Ian Rankin's police procedurals, set in Scotland, are good. v. enjoyable.
Thanks, everybody!
I really liked the British series by France Fyfield. It had _lots_ of psychological tension, were very plot driven, also well written. She has two series, but I liked the one with Helen West.
Very dark. I had to stop reading them, but I liked the few I read. Without Consent is the only title I recall.
Also any of Ruth Rendell. She's amazing in the psychological tension dept., a genius plotter, and a wonderful writer. Highly recommend!
Post a Comment